Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rollerderby Heat

Last night I went to my first Rollerderby match. It was pretty much awesome, except for the extreme heat and dead air in a building full to capacity with no breeze despite the 4 giant fans blowing. It was miserable. I literally felt like I was taking a shower in my own sweat. Grossest shower ever and I've seen a lot of gross campsite showers. But that is really my only complaint, otherwise I had a really good time. Two of my favoite friends came along with me and we were all trying to come up with our Rollerderby names, my is tentatively set at Calamity Cam. Sarah couldn't come up with one and Beth thought of hers later in the night, Betsy O'Killagain! Freaking awesome name. As far as the match went I really didn't know what to expect. I have seen the moive "Whip It" and was all ready to see some hair pulling and elbows to the mouth, knocked out teeth and all kinds of nastiness. It was actually much tamer then I thought. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there was a single girl who didn't fall or get knocked down, but everyone playing seemed very sportsmanly like. No one played dirty that I could see which is impressive since girls have been known to be catty on occasion (so I'm told). Most of the spills looked like they could have been pretty painful had it not been for the helmets, elbow/knee gaurds, and mouth pieces. The one girl that I knew that sent me the invite on facebook is the only one who actually got hurt, and hurt pretty good from the looks of it. She got knocked down and two other girls fell on her. I think she messed up her knee but how badly I'm not sure. The sound system was a little choppy at times but I was able to keep up with what was going on for the most part. I think they have another match next month and you can bet that as long as I'm in town that I'll be there wearing a suit made out of ice to keep cool or at least dark clothing so you can't see all the many many sweat stains I will be sporting. Blah.
People tell me that I would be good at rollerderby, and they might be right, I do tend to get angry a lot and could use a release. However, while I am not opposed to throwing a punch or two I am not a fan of being punched. I bruise so easily people would think I was being abused. Plus, I have my blogging for my anger outlet. There's nothing better then being able to write some long bitchy rant about something or someone and then have people tell me how much they enjoyed it! Of course if you see one of these rants in person you'll probably tell me to chill out. And I will tell you to suck it because venting is healthy. :) After rollerderby I went out with a couple girlfriends for some $1 Natty Light in keeping theme with the evening. Came home, messed around on facebook and hit the hay. I was going to blog last night but was too tired so I waited until today and I am wondering if you have noticed a difference in this blog compared to all the others. Now you may stop and ask yourself, what seems different? Less spelling and grammar mistakes? Possibly. Not getting off track so often? Maybe. Well the biggest difference is that this is the first time I've ever blogged sober! Yes. First time. I usually feel most expresive later in the evening after a few cocktails, I think it's when I do some of my best work. You tell me though. Did you notice a difference? Was this blog more boring or less entertaining than usual? Because I don't mind continuing to drink for all you dear readers. Let me know what you think about "sober blogging", are you a fan? Better, worse, or about the same?
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. I for one have been out of my recliner for far to long and need to continue my vegging now. Till next time.

4 comments:

Betsy Jo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy Jo said...

Thumbs up! I, too, plan to be at their next bout. I think I'll check into one of those misting fans. Because that would make me cool - both literally and figuratively. :)

Randy Heise said...

First off, I enjoyed reading it. Mostly because I've been to several Roller Derby's here in KC (against Denver, and I think Dallas...) and even made a sign one time. Yes I"m that guy. In all fairness the person I made the sign for was a friend of a friend and we'd played volleyball together. Her name was Sunshine Slaughter and my poster consisted of an angry looking sun with a blood covered machete. Ok.....so yes I did notice a difference. Having read on facebook the challenge of can you guess what's different, I failed in noticing that you were sober.....but did notice the writing style difference. This is in no way a critique or meant to come out mean or anything....but reading this seemed more like you just having a casual conversation with a stranger..... The other posts were like you were in front of me talking and gesturing like a friend would who you hadn't seen in awhile...I guess what I'm saying is...in those the emotion comes through stronger. Sober or Drunk, I will always read your blogs because they interest me to no end and am always smiling at the end. Run this by Sarah, but I think her Derby name should be Slayin Sarah Shitkicker........

jeff said...

I had no idea we had this in town. God, I used to watch this on tv when I was a little kid. That must have been..........what, 5 or 6 years ago? Yeah, we'll go with that. Arena football and roller derby, two things I need to see at least once. And a demolition derby. Guess that's three things.